Re: New scoring system

To: "Alan Pozner" <AlanP@identicard.com>, <randyc@map.com>
Subject: Re: New scoring system
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 19:42:29 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Pozner

>A two day event is all about consistency. Reward the folks who perform well
>on both days. Perhaps we can figure out a way to give recognition for each
>day individually without taking away from the high overall scorers for the
>entire event.
>
>Regards,
>Alan

IMHO, Randy's system is far too complex to be practical. Nobody but the guy
crunching the 'puter would have a clue as to who was leading. The present
system is pretty basic: You were 0.2 behind after the first day, that's what
ya gotta make up to win (even if that margin left you in 5th place). You
gonna say the guy in 5th by 0.2 after Day One does not deserve the win just
because he was that low after the first day? Look how tight the class was!
And yes, it has happened.

FWIW, when I am editing the stories from Nationals, I always make it a point
to note who set FTD on each course each day, so the individual best of each
day does get recognized at least in the SportsCar story.

--Rocky Entriken