Re: New scoring system

To: AlanP@identicard.com
Subject: Re: New scoring system
From: Jeff Blankenship <jblanken@itds.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 17:29:21 CST
I'm starting to warm up to this proposed scheme.  As long as I can come up
with reasonable answers to the critics, I'll feel better and better about
it.  So far, I have responses to two points raised against the proposed
scheme.

Alan Pozner writes:

> Unfortunately trying to remedy the situation by taking Randy's suggestion
> leads to more problems. What happens to the consistent performer who places
> second on both days? He is punished by receiving a 3rd place trophy!!!

I answer this by saying that this outcome is possible under the current
scheme, so the proposed scheme is no worse at least some of the time.
A weighted points system might sort things out better, but I haven't thought
about that long enough to say if I like that or not.

The other criticism is about ties.  My answer to this problem is to fall
back on comparing the sum of the two days' times.  This would always break
the tie fairly.

Cool topic, a fun exercise for the brain!  Good job so far, team.net, keep
'em coming!
-
Jeffrey D. Blankenship                         Senior Technical Consultant
jblanken@itds.com                              ITDS - TRIS
neon enthusiast #478                           Champaign, IL, USA