Re: AP Nationals Turnout

To: rocky@tri.net
Subject: Re: AP Nationals Turnout
From: Andy Hollis <awhollis@swbell.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 08:43:50 -0500
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:40:26 -0500
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>

>The Miata in DP weighs 1775 (1.6) or 1875 (1.8). I do not recall precisely
>the proposal for it to go to AP, but at a different weight formula that
>would have it at 16xx something IIRC.

1650 and 1750 are the numbers I've heard for AP.

>It's an overdog in DP, but needs a good home where it can be competitive.
It
>is too important a car (popular model, lots of 'em out there).

And why wouldn't adding weight to it and leaving in DP not also fix that
problem?  Certainly cheaper for the Miata driver than upgrading to AP specs.

>The DP-winning Miata was half a second behind the  Tiger that won AP, and
.2
>ahead of the Corvette that won AP last year. The Tiger had two drivers,
BTW,
>so the Miata also beat one of the two Tiger drivers.

Note also, Rocky, that 2nd place AP finisher Sam Platt had cones on all of
his runs for the one day.  Without the cones he would have won by 1.3
seconds, putting him a full 1.8 seconds ahead of that DP-winning Miata.  Now
what do you say?  What are you going to give that Miata that's worth almost
two seconds?

>And I like it moving outta DP where it is really not a good fit.

Why is it less of a fit with other small bore, small dimension sport cars
than it is with large bore cars like Vettes and Tigers?

--Andy