Re: Veneer for dashboards

To: JERRYTOY@aol.com
Subject: Re: Veneer for dashboards
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 08:14:51 -0400 (EDT)

> Cutting a new dash from solid wood is like going to Vegas!  When you cut
> those instrument and glove box openings stress relief will probably cause the
> piece of wood to twist.  If you look at the edge of a new wood dash from TRF
> you can see the tight and high count plywood that they use.  These greatly
> reduces risk of wrap.  Plus they come with the glove box mounted and hinges
> hung.  At $175 as a wood worker it would be difficult for me to match it,
> plus they silkscreen like orig. dash.  Watch for sales?

    Prestige Auto Trim in California makes dashboards for most of the
Triumph line.  They charged me $120 for my Spitfire dash.  (The TR4/250/6
ones where $140 I think). I believe the ones TRF sales have come from
Prestige (or at least some place like it), as the descriptions sound very
similar, and are just marked up and re-sold.
    In any case, the stuff from Prestige is very nice and its cheaper than
buying from TRF. It's made to order though, so expect it to take a month or
more before you get the dash. In addition to the standard dashboards they've
got lots of exotic woods and such, for more money of course.
    If anybody wants their number, I can go dig it up.

                                                Jeremy DuBois
                                                Programmer/System Administrator
                                                Thermalogic Corporation