RE: Spitfire, MK I/II, Upper Dash Crash Pads

To: Eric Straub <ericst@MICROSOFT.com>
Subject: RE: Spitfire, MK I/II, Upper Dash Crash Pads
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:48:10 +0500 (EST)
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu'" <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>, "'Odd Hedberg'" <odd@triumphclub.se>
On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Eric Straub wrote:

> BTW, I just confirmed the comment below with a parts supplier in England
> - the Upper dash on the "early" mk 3's is identical to the Mk 1/2 dash.
> The upper dash on the late Mk 3's (I'm not sure the exact date) is the
> same as the Mk IV dash and is thus different.

Well, I'm really going out on a limb, because I can't easily what I'm
about to speculate on here. I believe that there must have been some
difference between even the "late" Mk.3 (Federal, especially) and the
Mk.IV dashes. The earlier dash pads basically went under the bolt-on
windscreen frame. The Mk.IV dashes slope down more towards the base of
the glass, which is a bit deeper owing to the redesigned cowl area,
where the windscreen frame became permanently a part of the cowl.

Does that sound right, gang?

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *