FW: Spitfire, MK I/II, Upper Dash Crash Pads

To: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: FW: Spitfire, MK I/II, Upper Dash Crash Pads
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 25 Nov 1996 14:19:24 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 03968329A1B6C066-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <03968329A1B6C066*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
 Andrew Mace wrote:

On Mon, 25 Nov 1996, Eric Straub wrote:

> BTW, I just confirmed the comment below with a parts supplier in England
> - the Upper dash on the "early" mk 3's is identical to the Mk 1/2 dash.
> The upper dash on the late Mk 3's (I'm not sure the exact date) is the
> same as the Mk IV dash and is thus different.

Well, I'm really going out on a limb, because I can't easily what I'm
about to speculate on here. I believe that there must have been some
difference between even the "late" Mk.3 (Federal, especially) and the
Mk.IV dashes. The earlier dash pads basically went under the bolt-on
windscreen frame. The Mk.IV dashes slope down more towards the base of
the glass, which is a bit deeper owing to the redesigned cowl area,
where the windscreen frame became permanently a part of the cowl.Does that
sound right, gang?
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Okay, this may be kinda dumb, but what the h __l is everyone talking about
"dashpads" on very early Spits?  All that was on mine was the same vinyl as
was on the rest of the interior door panels, etc.  Looks like it was simply
glued to the top of the dash before the windscreen frame was bolted into
place, then add the ashtray and the vent covers - VOILA!  Instant dash pad.
 So, was there someting missing from my early Spit of which I am unaware?
 Even the VB catalog shows what appears to be a simple piece of vinyl that
glues over the top of the metal dash.  There was a bead of "U" channel
material that covered the very edge of the dash where it wraps down to shade
the instruments, but that was it.  So, what's the poop?  Inquiring minds
want to know.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4