RE: Spitfire, MK I/II, Upper Dash Crash Pads

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Spitfire, MK I/II, Upper Dash Crash Pads
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:33:29 -0800

> BTW, I just confirmed the comment below with a parts supplier in England
>- the Upper dash on the "early" mk 3's is identical to the Mk 1/2 dash.
> The upper dash on the late Mk 3's (I'm not sure the exact date) is the
> same as the Mk IV dash and is thus different
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have to add my two cent's worth.  Your parts supplier is incorrect.  The
confusion may lie in the fact that the later (70?) crash pads look very
similar.  The later MKIII used basicly the same bolt on windscreen as all
the earlier Spitfire's as opposed to the deeper, intergral windscreen use on
the MK4 and 1500.  I have both and can verify that if you use the MK4 crash
pad with a MK3 you will not be able to bolt the windscreen on because the
crash pad will interfere.  If you try to use a MK3 crash pad on a MK4, well
it will fit, but you'll end up with an unslightly gap of about 1-1/2 to 2"
between the pad and the windscreen.  If you were to just look at each one
they would appear similar, but you would see that the MK3 pad was narrower
than the MK4/1500's - I wish they were the same.  I need a MK3 and have a
MK4.  I think I can modify the MK4 pad to fit by narrowing the frame and
recovering , but would prefer to buy a MK3 pad!

Did I put enough MK's in there?  Whew-

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+