Re: What happens if?

Subject: Re: What happens if?
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:58:32 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

"Michael D. Porter" wrote:

> Personally, I don't see how a few thousand cars of ancient manufacture
> are going to be affected by the policies of either Gore or Bush on the
> national level. Or what that might have to do with the country at large.

Michael :

Right now, in the state of California, you can be paid $1000 in effect
for turning over to the crusher any car that does not meet emission
standards.  Hopefully, most TRs are beyond the reach of this program at
the moment, but I'll bet they crush GT6s and TR7s on a fairly regular
basis, with the occasional Spit and TR6 for good measure.  This program
was recommended and blessed by the federal govt ...

And, I can easily imagine president Nader <shudder> declaring that all
cars that do not meet current safety standards can no longer be driven
on federal roads ...

So, while in general I agree with your other comments, the policies of
the federal gov't can quite possibly have large and immediate effects on
"a few thousand cars of ancient manufacture".

Randall