Re: What happens if?

To: jmcneal@ohms.com, levilevi@home.com, MRobe33243@aol.com, spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: What happens if?
From: BPAULTR3@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:55:41 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
In a message dated 10/19/2000 11:11:19 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
jmcneal@ohms.com writes:

<< created because several list members left after discussions turned away
 from Triumph automobiles and the owner of this list didn't seem interested
 in doing anything about keeping people on topic or from flaming each other.

 As I saw some very good people depart from the list because of all the
 extraneous crap going on, I decided to give them another option.  Unlike
 Mark Bradakis, I will NEVER solicit TTG members for "donations" nor will I
 EVER charge anyone for the privilidge of posting there, but I WILL ask them
 to not flame one another and keep the conversation polite and on topic.  If
 that's too much to ask then I'm sorry.

Sorry, but your definition of a 'Flame' might be different than mine.  I'd
prefer to make my own decisions and not have them made for me about what is
socially acceptable and what is not and what is on topic and what is not.
I'm not sure why you believe you should be the one to make the decisions
regarding what is discussed and what is not discussed or how people should
respond.  Rules promulgate more rules, and those that make the rules accrue
more and more power.

It's nice that your site offers an alternative, but there is really no reason
whatsoever to offer your site by using exactly the same type of posts that
you claim motivated
you to start your site in the first place. Off topic, non Triumph related
posts which are probably insulting to many and certainly inflammatory. Think
abut it.  If Mark ran this list the way you propose to run yours you would
not have had a say, now would you.
I agree with Fred and think that you actually owe Mark an apology.

 You were way off the mark to suggest that I have some financial motives for
 starting the TTG.  I'll repeat it again.  I will NEVER solicit donations or
 attempt to charge members money for using the venue, just as I've never
 sought to profit from the Totally Triumph Auction site.  Don't look a gift
 horse in the mouth.  I'm glad however, that I've had the opportunity to
 correct your misguided thinking on the matter.

Well don't talk foolish now either. Where's the 'gift'. I did note that you
have advertising space for sale.  I don't fancy being exposed to that.  Will
you be selling your E-mail lists to vendors? Somebody has to pay, in some
way.  The money does not fall from trees around here anyway. I like the
voluntary donation idea over being exposed to more commercial messages myself.

Chairman Mao corrected a lot of misguided thinking too!!

Open, unfettered discussion is the best basis for any society or government.
The aggregate reaction of the entire list to any topic which arises wll keep
the list on topic according to the lists own definition of on topic, not just
one individual's opinion.

Having said all that, good luck with your site. I hope you keep it open but I
hope you reconsider being the censor too.

I apologise to any members of this list who found this post to be off topic !

Bob Paul
Corrales NM
Owning, driving, enjoying and talking about TR's since 1964.
Please don't mention MG's though!