Re: TR6 ring gear question

To: "'Triumphs@autox. Net'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, <owner-6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 ring gear question
From: Michael Graham <mgraham@achilles.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 19:01:23 -0500
I had the same problem after rebuilding my engine and transmission. Because
the old ring gear was worn, I removed it and had a new one heated on. After
about 500 miles or so it slipped off part way so that the starter would not
engage. Solution was to take the transmission back out and take the
flywheel and ring gear to my local welding shop. He put 6 equal spaced,
equal length mig welds on the ring and so far so good. Perhaps not perfect
balance, but not bad and sure better than having the thing slip off again.

Why they seem to let go is a mystery to me as well, but I checked a friends
stock of 5 flywheels and ALL of them had the ring gear welded in place!
Maybe the factory started to do this at some point???

Cheers, Mike