Re: C&C mods in stock...

Subject: Re: C&C mods in stock...
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:41:11 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Mark Sirota wrote:
> Because it's not just a Chrysler problem.  This is a never-ending, ever-
> growing list with high maintenance costs.  Your solution simply doesn't
> scale.
>
> You've already named six (Neon motor mounts, Porsche chain tensioners,
> RX-7TT vacuum hoses, Mustang SFC's, Camaro/Firebird SFC's, C5 Corvette
> rear wheels).
>
> Which ones have you forgotten?  How about 914 rear trailing arms, which
> need fixing either by boxing the arm to strengthen it, and/or
> reinforcing the mounting area?  How about all the cars (MR2's come to
> mind) that have a habit of ripping the sway bar mount?  How about BMW
> E30 318is's that turn upside down?  There are probably dozens of these
> things today...  How many will there be 10 years from now?

Its interesting that in three examples you're already at one that's
clearly not an exclusionary type weakness.

Look, I never said the list wouldn't grow, but to say is doesn't scale is
kinda silly.  Using your same logic, the car classification list doesn't
scale either.  After all, we keep adding to it and changing it around.  I
don't want to get to the point where we're fixing plastic trim pieces and
allowing alternate springs because back in '82 a car turned over when it
spun out into the grass.  But there's a happy medium between not allowing
anything and trying to fix all the problems in the world.  And, just like
with car classifications, we have to rely on the members and the SEB (or
some other volunteer organization) to keep things sane.  I've been reading
team.net for a year or so, and I haven't heard of any other weak points
other than the ones I mentioned.  Obviously that doen't mean they aren't
out there, simply that if we fix those six, and maybe a couple others
every year or so as they come up, we'll help out a large percentage of our
members.

> What about when that recommended manufacturer of SFC's for Mustangs
> stops making them?  Do you go back and review the options?

Sure.  When a member points that out.

> Every car has its weaknesses.  It's part of the game (and the classing
> system).  We have to live with that.
>
> For those who cannot live with it, if it's truly a legitimate weakness
> in the car, get the manufacturer to fix it by issuing a simple piece of
> paper, and/or a revised part.

I'm sorry, but 'every car has its weaknesses' applies fine to performance
potential, etc.  It doesn't necessarily apply for reliability, and even if
it did, we'd be helping out ourselves if we allowed ourselves to fix the
problems that wouldn't cause a dramatic shift in ability or class
balace.

Mark