Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.

To: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Subject: Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.
From: Mark Shaw <autox@inficad.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 23:08:42 -0700
Randy Chase wrote:
> I disagree. You can be in competition for year ending points, in which
> case it doesn't require that you be at any event to be in competition.

But somewhere along the line you should see competitors in one of the
series events, right?

> You can be in competition with your own times and personal best. You can
> be competing for what some recognize as the first goal in racing, that
> is "showing up".

Also works for life, but seldom do you get a trophy for that...:-)

> I am all for not giving out trophies for everyone. But this is still
> competing. What difference does it make if 4 other new drivers show up
> in your class and you still win? Is that anymore a competition? Not to
> me.

In a PAX indexed environment you will see people get a trophy who clearly
would not win if ANYBODY showed up.  It is true that some people will
always win their class no matter who shows up; but it is my experience
that these folks will not be happy to "compete" with themselves.

> And I *really* do not like easily winning a class....but if someone else
> wins one, more power to them. How they feel about it is their issue, not
> mine to determine.

Don't forget that this is partially a cost issue.  If you want to give
out great trophies to those who are serious competitors, then you need
to gather funds from those who are don't win.  Otherwise the entry fees
have to increase so everybody gets a trophy paid by their fees and also
cover fixed costs.  Giving out more trophies for a reasonable entry fee means
that you have to skimp on the ones you give out.  THAT does affect others
besides the person "doing their own thing."

> We can't bump into a new group. It does not work that way here or
> nationally. Fortunately, locally we can run in a pax class against good
> drivers, but I can only do that if I can run in the afternoon, which is
> not often.

If you cannot bump locally that is your region's choice, but it is recommended
in the rulebook.

>   On the other hand
> > when a person in a poorly classed car that always gets beat complains,
> > rather than provide them a class of their own they are told that's the way
> > it is and they can leave if they don't like it.
>
> Because I think we know that some people are going to show up in the
> best car for the class and still get beat.

If it is the best car in the class that's the driver's problem.  BUT I was
talking about the person who shows up in the worst car in the class.

> The whole classing system is inherently selective. I am not sure what
> else you mean by this.

By selective, I mean that we have already decided by prior decision what
is acceptable "competition" groupings.  AS long as you do challenge that
you can do whatever you want in the name of "fun."  But tamper with
the formula and it is no longer a fun thing.  Our definition of what
is reigid and what is flexible tends to move around depending on whose
toes get trampled.

> Because sometimes we need that bureaucratic BS to make sure everyone is
> having fun. You make the leap that the BBS is a bad thing. That is
> simplistic thinking, IMHO.

Just reflecting what Rocky said.  Lambast him, not me...

> Well, I guess we can call the SEB/SCAC GOD, but I think it has some
> inertia in making changes because it should. The worst thing we can do
> is make lots of changes, reacting to many inputs, quickly. Then we upset
> the serious folk who have put in a lot of time and energy into this
> sport.

Ah... thanks for verbalizing this.....

We have to be careful not to offend those who have put a lot
of time and energy into this sport.  And after how much time
and energy does the opinion of a newcomer count....?

Mark