Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Earning Trophies? Nope.
From: "Brad Cox" <coxb@trimofran.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 12:12:32 -0500
This may be somewhat beside the point of the current thread.  I think the
issue of "tons of classes" for most of us is different from the fairness of
trophying in a class of one, or getting bumped.  From a novices point of
view (which mine is), coming into an event with 100+ cars and seeing SEVERAL
classes of one, it's just sort of... goofy.  I just really didn't expect it.
It's pretty interesting trying to explain to my friends how the class thing
works.

I drive a car that isn't going to be nationally competitive.  There are
other cars in the class that are just better.  Do I want a new class that
makes it competitive?  Heck no.  If I want to be national champ, I'll do
what it takes to win under the current rules rather than changing the rules
just to accomodate me.  Maybe that involves buying a different car.  C'est
La Vie.  What I have seen is that on a regional level, a great driver can
take a decently prepared car, no matter what it is (within reason), and be
VERY competitive.

It's kinda like basketball.  Are the rules fair?  Who knows, but they're not
gonna change for my sake. (5'9", 6" vertical, no coordination, etc.)  So do
they need to start a new league to accomodate guys like me?  They can if
they want, but I think it's lame.

This is just a personal feeling on my part.  What kicked this thread off was
the suggestion that more classes be added (and not a very serious one at
that).  Personally, I feel we could do with about half as many as exist now.
Some people will get "shafted", but they would be offset by an equal number
of people who will get "rewareded".  However, the whole sport gets a boost
because it's just less confusing to those of us who truly are grass roots,
which accounts for a significant number (and shall remain, it is autocross
after all, not F1).

Let the floggings begin.

-brad
Team WAN (wise-ass-novice)