Re: Katie Kelly protest (protestors side)

To: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Subject: Re: Katie Kelly protest (protestors side)
From: Gary Thomason <gtsolo2@home.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 01:47:59 -0700

David Hawkins illuminates the list with:

> > >Seriously, that is my point. The reaction here is more to WHO was
> > >protested, than WHAT was protested, IMHO.
> >
> > The person being protested could have been Paul Revere for all
> > I care....my reaction is to the method, which was an ambush.  It
> > doesn't matter what you were looking for, or what point you were
> > trying to make.  To autox with someone, see that their car is
> > configured in a way that may be questionable, and NOT say
> > anything to them because you want to protest it at nationals and
> > get a rules clarification just stinks.
> >
> > None of the 'I didn't want her to know about it until her runs were
> > over' make one bit of difference.  The sportsmanlike thing to do is
> > to point out a problem with someone's car WHEN you see it.  Not
> > to hold out and bring it up without giving them a chance to consider
> > it.  I would much rather have someone point out a potential problem
> > on my car and let me determine for myself if it's legal than spring it
> > on me after all of my runs at nationals.  That way when it came up
> > in impound, I could tell myself 'I looked at it and I'm confident that I'm
> > legal'.

And Randy Chase replies:

> Agree with all of the above. If someone thought I was illegal, I would
> rather they mention it to me. If someone wants to make a point
> nationally, using my car, I would expect they would let me know.

Wow, I just can't stand it any longer. Two guys that weren't even there,
got it all figured out and stating things as facts when they really don't
have any idea what went on, other than (mostly) a bunch of speculation and
hearsay.

Mr. Hawkins:
What source did you utilize to determine that Kevin had noticed this issue
long ago, and then with evil intent, kept it to himself so he could "ambush"
Katie at Nationals? Are you somehow privy to all discussions between the two?
I thought not.

The subject of protests comes up on this list almost every year after Nationals.
It has been repeatedly demonstrated that protests are a necessary part of racing
at this level. Nobody likes it, but that's the way it is. Please find Andy
Hollis' and Byron Short's recent posts on the subject and read them carefully.
Both of these seasoned, intelligent and savvy competitors have been on *both*
sides of the fence, and the invaluable insights they attempted to pass on
should be taken note of.

I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject of Miata perch heights, so
after hearing about this protest I checked with several class veterans.
Every single person I spoke to about this agreed with Kevin that the
position Katie had her perches in was probably illegal (by their method of
measurement). Apparently, they were all mistaken. That is one of the purposes
of this process after all, distasteful as it may be.

Katie:
Personally, I couldn't be happier that your car was found legal. By far the
best possible outcome for this situation. You have all of us male chauvinist
types in BS really, really, really worried. Nice job!!  :-)

Kevin:
Unlike the long distance, arm-chair ninnies singing "wiener" songs on the
list, I don't know all the details of the whole situation. Even if I did,
and was therefore able to formulate an informed personal opinion concerning
your decision to handle things the way you did, I certainly wouldn't have
trashed you on an open forum like this one. To each his own I guess.
I admire your courage in attempting to defend yourself to the slavering
lynch mob. I too am thoroughly disappointed in some of the jumping to
conclusions expressed by several people that should know better.
Keep your chin up.

Gary Thomason