Re: Katie Kelly protest (protestors side)

To: "Randy Chase" <randyc2@home.com>,
Subject: Re: Katie Kelly protest (protestors side)
From: "David Hawkins" <otgrouch@twosrus.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 20:34:09 -0500
>Seriously, that is my point. The reaction here is more to WHO was
>protested, than WHAT was protested, IMHO.

The person being protested could have been Paul Revere for all
I care....my reaction is to the method, which was an ambush.  It
doesn't matter what you were looking for, or what point you were
trying to make.  To autox with someone, see that their car is
configured in a way that may be questionable, and NOT say
anything to them because you want to protest it at nationals and
get a rules clarification just stinks.

None of the 'I didn't want her to know about it until her runs were
over' make one bit of difference.  The sportsmanlike thing to do is
to point out a problem with someone's car WHEN you see it.  Not
to hold out and bring it up without giving them a chance to consider
it.  I would much rather have someone point out a potential problem
on my car and let me determine for myself if it's legal than spring it
on me after all of my runs at nationals.  That way when it came up
in impound, I could tell myself 'I looked at it and I'm confident that I'm
legal'.

David Hawkins