Re: Katie Kelly protest (protestors side)

To: ktm@unify.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Katie Kelly protest (protestors side)
From: CSRX7@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 01:48:07 EDT
Kevin, you may and may not know me, although we've met at several Southern
California events. I only know you and Katie from my limited contact with
each of you at these few events over the years. I was disappointed to hear
about the protest, and disappointed to hear who it was from. However, I was
also equally disappointed to see how many listers condemned you without
hearing the full story. I assumed there was a good reason for the protest,
given your reputation and Katie's.
That said, I am curious about a few things, so here goes...

> Background - As myself and others have seen on the three groove rear Miata
>  Koni's, the middle groove for the Bilstein equipped cars is low in many
cases
>  (I have two sets of rears that measure over 1/8th too low when NEW.)  I
>  won't implicate the others who have also seen this - might as well only get
>  _one_ person blacklisted...

Was Katie asked about this subject locally by you and/or the others involved?
It would seem to me that this could have been addressed locally, without
putting a friend through a protest at Nationals, of all places. However, if
she was approached locally and did nothing to resolve the issue, given fair
warning, I can see this as reasonable.

>  So, I think this response is best served in an Q&A type of fashion - I'll
>  respond to those that I remember.
>

>  Q: What was the purpose of the protest?
>  A: To have the perch heights (rear in particular) checked on Ms. Kelly's
>  car.  No, I was not protesting ride height.  Her car is setup use the above
>  mentioned middle grove.  That's the specifics of the protest - the effect
>  that I'd hoped to accomplish was to get a clarification on using an
>  aftermarket manufacturer's 'word' (Koni's) that their setting is correct.
>  know, write a letter - been down that path for another issue with less than
>  satisfactory results.

Again, was it necessary to put a fellow, local region friend through a
protest at Nationals to get a simple clarification of a rule or definition?
It does seem a bit "uncool" at best, and downright "weenie" at worst.

>  Q: Why the three items on the protest?
>  A: Basically to do the general list on the Miata - did I think that timing
>  or spring freelength were out of spec?  Nope.  Note that those were
dropped.

Then why put them there to begin with?

>  In a sense, I'm glad those were there - they provided some 'bargining'
power
>  with the PC (protest committee.)

To bargain what? Why would you need to "bargain" if you felt justified in
your protest.

 I had asked them to focus on the perch
>  height, since that the real reason for being there.  I am happy with the
>  clarification that they provided - they 'got' my reasoning (I think).  Oh,
>  yeah, the perches were .050 low - in the noise of the measurement technique
>  used.

Then why not just protest the perch, if that was truly the specific item you
needed a clarification on?

>  Q: Why a region member, and why at nationals?
>  A: Because I knew her car, and that the only way that this would surface
>  beyond our region was to do so either at a tour or Nationals.  And this
>  topic has come up regionally (Craig B.'s car) and mentioned on this list.

Again, did you give her a chance to address the issue of her car's legality
locally? I would hope that you would not just spring this on her at the most
important event of the year, but instead would have given her ample
opportunity to take care of this at home, before driving all the way to
Topeka and risking possibly a top finish at this event.

I'm just curious about the motives and reasons here, and I still have not
seen Katie's side of the story on the list (was it posted and I overlooked
it?). While some of your reasons still appear to me to be as "weenie" as many
here are condemning you of being, I understand there are probably many other
factors that are as yet untold by both yourself and Katie. I hope you'll take
a minute and answer the questions I added above. If nothing else, it might
help all of the listers who are quick to jump on the "condemn the protester"
band wagon to see that there are usually many more facts than we are privy to
in most cases.

I, myself, am a firm believer in playing by the rules. I would not ever
consider making an illegal modification to my car. It dilutes your
accomplishment. If you're not legal then a win is not a really win, plain and
simple. Your skill did not allow you to win, your unfair advantage did. What
fun is that?

I am also, though, a believer in giving a fellow competitor a good faith
chance to correct a problem before hanging them. Katie, if you haven't yet
posted your story on this, I'd love to hear it. I think your finishing
position is great, especially given the company you were in for this class.
Awesome job!!

Todd Cameron, San Diego Region.