Re: ST tire options

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ST tire options
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 22:17:14 -0500

PZahornask@aol.com wrote:

> I think Loren is absolutely right, you shouldn't have to buy a set of $250
> tires to win at Nationals.
>
> Simple solution, STR becomes a National class, ST becomes a regional class.

You're exactly as much help as Dennis Grant was on this topic.  If
nobody thought a National street tire class was viable, it never would
have been offered.  Or, if it had been offered, 15 people wouldn't have
competed in it.  The demand is there.  If I'm the only one that thinks
that the disparity in tire availability is a problem and that cost
should be somewhat regulated, that's okay.  A lot of the folks who ran
ST this year (that weren't "all the top ST drivers" who are switching
back to R-tires next season so they can run Pros) are probably hoping to
have the opportunity to come back next year.

> For all of those that have argued for National Street Tire classes, try to
> imagine this thread spread over the 9 Stock classes.

What's ST got to do with Stock?  I'm not advocating that Stock classes
revert to street tires, if that's what you're implying.  I'm not even
looking for more than one street tire class.

My choice was to modify my suspension to get more out of my street tires
rather than to leave the suspension stock and pay $600 per season for
tires that I'll only use for 4 minutes every other weekend.  This
decision made much more sense to me.  I might not go as fast as anyone
on R-tires (though, actually, I do go as fast as plenty of people on
R-tires, thanks) for the hour or so of total time that I spend on course
in a season, but I feel that I get a lot more enjoyment out of my tire
money than those who choose to autocross on R-tires.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca