Re: ST tire options

To: Judy Becker <judyb@cts.com>
Subject: Re: ST tire options
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:21:05 -0400

> Speaking of tires....wouldn't it be nice to have a truly stock class with
> truly stock (non-r, possibly above 240 wear rated) streeet tires?

Why?

I ran my first season of autox on the OEM Goodyear RSAs that have a treadwear of
like 300. Chewed the hell out of them. It was obvious to me within about 3
events that in order to play this game regularly, I'd need a second set of
tires.

Guess what? The stock OEM tires - not even special exotic tires, I mean the
plain-Jane Goodyear all-weather RSAs - were MORE expensive per tire than the
Kumhos I now race on.

How is that a good thing?

> Question has been asked so many times here in San Diego.

At a Regional level, Street Tire classes make lots of sense. A Street Tire class
can accomodate newbies fresh off the street, occasional racers, people who just
don't want to swap wheels every event, and people who share cars to the point
were per-event tire wear is just too high (family race cars with 4 drivers). By
all means, Regions should attempt to accomodate everyone they can.

But as soon as you start wanting to win, or as soon as you start competing
regularly, street tires are a false economy.

DG