Re: ST tire options

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ST tire options
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:30:11 -0500

dg50@daimlerchrysler.com wrote:

> >> I think Loren is absolutely right, you shouldn't have to buy a set of >>
>$250
> tires to win at Nationals.
> >>
> >> Simple solution, STR becomes a National class, ST becomes a regional >>
> class.
>
> Hey! Stop that! That's the voice of common sense and logic! That's not allowed
> in this thread!

Too bad there was a heavy dose of sarcasm in that statement, huh?

> > You're exactly as much help as Dennis Grant was on this topic.
>
> Heh. Or maybe there's another message out there trying to get through...

It's the same old message, guys who like to run on R-tires don't think
anyone should compete on street tires.  Nothing new there.  I say, if
there are enough of us to make a class, leave us the hell alone and let
us have our class.  Or are you concerned that it might detract from your
STU class?

> But yet, if you talk to the top drivers who actually competed in National
>Level
> ST, they're all grumbling about the cost of the tires it took to win.
>
> To paraphrase Mr. Allan "We thought ST would be a cheap way to do Street
> Prepared, but the cost of the tires needed to be competitive killed that"
>
> That's not an exact quote, but it's the gist of what he had to say during the
> SEB Town Hall meeting.

>From what some of the other ST guys are saying, they didn't really need
to spend all that money on tires to be competitive.  Perhaps they're
right.  Allen's car (with him driving it, of course, don't want anyone
accusing me of discounting the driver) on a fresh and shaved set of
AVS-I's probably would have still won.

> Race tires - especially in the 16-17 inch riceboy sizes - are a bargin.

Yeah, but you can't drive them on the street.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca