Re: Re-class a Miata for +15hp!!!!!!!! Give me a break.

To: "Stephen Bernard" <solo-2@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Re-class a Miata for +15hp!!!!!!!! Give me a break.
From: "Richard Williams" <richw1@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 07:08:53 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Bernard" <solo-2@juno.com>
To: <richw1@mediaone.net>
Cc: <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000 9:59 PM

> > Well than you surely forgot that the 1999 Miata and the 2000 MR2
> > Spyder were put on the dyno and the MR2 had a good bit more power.
> Even though
> > the two cars are advertised to have the same HP the MR2 Spyder dyno'ed
> at 13
> > hp and 7 lb-ft of torque higher than the Miata.  The MR2 Spyder dyno'ed
> at
> > 125 hp and 113 lb-ft of torque, the Miata came up with 112 hp and 106
> lb-ft
> > of torque.  Even if you add an advertised 15 hp, which would equal
> > approximately 12 hp to the rear wheels (adjusting for drivetrain
> > losses),
>
> I actually don't remember seeing those numbers but they do
> sound about right. Individual cars vary so the new Miata
> will be a better match for Toyota Poke'mon car.
> I can just hear the yellow one yelling PikaChuuu as it
> whips around the corners. LOL
> B-stock is going to get real challenging next year even
> more than this year.
>
> > you would just now equal the power of the MR2 Spyder.  The MR2 also
> > reached max torque 1100 rpm's earlier.  Also, do not forget the MR2
> Spyder
>
> I can't see how the MR2 willl benefit from a max lower RPM's.
> more torque certainly but not a lower redline.

Actually what I stated is that the MR2 reaches its max torque earlier that
the Miata.

> > is
> > approximately 104 lbs lighter than the Miata.  The MR2 Spyder came
> > in at 2,195 lbs and the Miata came in at 2,299 lbs.  I am not saying
> that
> > the MR2 Spyder will be an overdog but it will surely be a strong
> contender
> > with the 2000 and 2001 Miata.  This is simply the facts, nothing more,
> > nothing less.
>
> It will be something to see out on course but I do believe that
> the Miata has a better suspension than the MR-S.
> So far I haven't seen an MR-Spyder even on the street but
> next year I imagine they will be out on course.
> I like the MR Spyder but it really could use a trunk.

As far as comparing Macpherson strut vs Double wishbone, the older MR2's
don't seem to have a problem competing.  Toyota has been making the Sturt
suspension work very well for years.  Out of two comparasins on the track
between the Miata and the MR2 Spyder the Miata won 1 and the MR2 Spyder won
1.  This is still yet to be proved in autoX due to the limited number of
cars but it wil get interesting very quick,

> > I have said my piece and will now duck, as the Miata people will be
> > heaving objects in my direction.
>
> Nah, I think the Miata has a better style to it but on
> course until proven otherwise the Miata still has a proven
> track record.
>
> Steve Bernard
> Red '99 Miata (B-Stock)
> NER Region (Novice Class)