Re: the whole NT/participation thing

To: "John Eagan" <johneagan@toltbbs.com>, "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: the whole NT/participation thing
From: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 19:10:56 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: John Eagan <johneagan@toltbbs.com>

> Well, alright, so I've been reading all the recent stuff about national
> tour events and too much participation and all that jazz.

<snip>

> It's simple, I think. I think that there _should_ be some sort of
> prerequisites involved in entering a national level Solo II event, and I
> say that as one of the people who should NOT be there. I'm not going to
> squall on about the bad elitist snob people keeping me out. There are a
> bunch of us who don't belong at such an event. "Huh?" you say?
>
> For the people who spend insane amounts of money, time, travel miles,
> and concerted effort at running national level events, I can't imagine
> it's a great thing to find some huge mob at every such event, with all
> the logistical hassles that go with it. It seems not only reasonable to
> me to insist that some minimum levels of quality and commitment be
> maintained for entries, but it seems to me a fairly bad thing to not do
> that. By all means, be reasonably exclusive.
>
> Yes, autocross is definitely a grassroots sort of sport, allowing
> participation even for those of us who cannot, or choose not to, commit
> major time and resources to the sport. But I don't understand the
> comments lately against "shutting out us little guys" however it may be
> phrased. That's why there are regionals. If you want a "taste of the Big
> Time" (such as THAT may be), do a divisional event when one comes near
> you. When there's a national level solo, stay out of the way.
>
> Myself, I think I am a decent enough driver that I wouldn't have people
> there wondering how on earth I got into a national event, but I'd
> probably be well down the results even with a suitable ride. The car I
> run would be way out of place. I decided at the last minute to run last
> year's CenDiv round at Daimler-Chrysler in Perrysburg, just because it
> was a home event, and after I went out Saturday evening to check things
> out I walked the course and decided it looked too fun to pass up. Even
> then, at a Divisional event, I wondered if people were wondering what
> the hell the deal was with the goofball running HS in a ratty old Sentra
> on lame street tires.

Can't agree with this.  As a no-budget racer who went to Nationals in '91,
slept in a pup tent at the track, bummed showers from friends with hotel
rooms, drove all the way there in a moderately prepared, stiff ASP Z-car
that was packed to the gills, had other friends haul our tires, was
competing against Porsches (can you say Dwight) at the time so had little
chance of doing well, I had a ball!  Finished ahead of all the other Z's
except one and even beat a Porsche and Vette or two.  It was a great
experience that I would do again if circumstances allowed.  We did have a
little sponsorship that year (tires, that we did not shave, and a few parts)
which helped some.  And I always enjoy Pros and Tours just to see the higher
level of competition whether I'm competitive or not.  I think there was 600
or so that year. It was great, the evening events were great.  I recommend
it to anyone at least once.  I just don't think our sport needs to restrict
participation, just figure out ways to better handle what we get.

IMHO

Rick Brown
FP 240Z