Re: Engine Hoist

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Hoist
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:52:58 -0600
>Dick Ryan:

>I agree with Phil, you need the right tool for the job.  However many rental
>shops rent hoists.
>
>So the question are:
>
>How many times will I use it over 10+ years?
>How much does it cost to buy versus rent?
>Where will I store it?

> Phil Hall:
>
>One of the best 250 bucks I ever spent!!  I dropped a 1600 motor/trans from
>4 feet using a come-a-long.  A tooth sheared and down it came.  Scared me
>half to death!  The only damage was the oil pan - I was lucky!
>
>No substitute for the right tool!!

>       Annette Rogers
>
>       Question:  My husband thinks we should invest in an engine hoist, I
>have NOOOO
>       clue how much these run or if they are a viable purchase for a
>hobbyist.  Any
>       suggestions?

Hoist rental around here runs about $50/24 hours. I figured I would need
one at least four or five times, maybe for more than 1 day at a time, so
I decided to look at buying. With that in mind I shopped around a bit a
couple of years ago and bought a (up to) 3000 lb unit with folding legs
at Sam's for $200 plus a $20 mail-in rebate. Well made, but very heavy,
and awkward with the legs folded. I'm going to add a second pair of small
casters on the base to facilitate moving it around in the garage.
Otherwise it's a real hassle. You can spend a bit more money and get one
already set up this way. On my unit there are swivel casters on the post
end and fixed heavy wheels on the ends of the extensions. It would be
easier to maneuver with swivel casters at both ends, but it may not be as
easy to control the motion and direction of the hoist/engine combo as you
pull it up and out. As Phil already mentioned, the pieces you're moving
are hefty and can do major damage if not well controlled. Having said
that, I've seen units with casters at both ends, too.

In addition to Sam's and Costco, you can look at TP Tools & Equipment,
Jegs and Summitt to get ideas and pricing. Just remember that freight
would probably be very high if you mail order. Later I bought the engine
tilter/balance bar at Harbor Freight for around $25. Also a good
investment, and Harbor Freight might be a good source for the hoist if
they have a store near you. Their stuff, as well as others, probably
wouldn't hold up long in a commercial shop, but for weekend hobby use
they're fine. In addition to the hoist you'll probably want an engine
stand, around $50. Get one with 4 wheels. The three wheelers can be a bit
unstable.

Of course, then there's the compressor and air tools. You can never have
too many tools! ;>)

Have fun,
Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)