Re[2]: Engine Hoist

To: "Roadster list" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re[2]: Engine Hoist
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:51:27 -0800
Good decision, safety first! I wouldn't trust apartment complex
construction. I grew up in a 19th century victorian house, the ceiling
beams were massive (extremely thick and long). As home-building progressed
into the 20th century, beams got thinner and thinner. My current home is 50
years old and the beams are much thicker than what goes into new
construction.

By the way, Stephan's recommendation of a foldable-takeapartable kind
sounds like the best choice of hydraulic hoists, I'll probably look for one
myself. And get an engine leveler.

An upright engine stand on wheels is a must, if you're tearing down the engine
and rebuilding it. If all you're doing is replacing a clutch, the stand is
useless. Better to have a dolly to lower the engine onto it, so you can access
the flywheel area. (Get a stand and a dolly.) Most engine stands mount at the
rear of the engine where the tranny bellhousing bolts up, so you wouldn't be
able to access the flywheel area (and the clutch has to come off anyway to mount
the engine). Maybe the experts on the list can recommend a workbench mounted
stand that has access at the back of the engine? Anyhow, the portable engine
stands on wheels is what I have, and it's great for rotating the engine upside
down to access the crank area, etc.

Fred - So.SF