Re: High-Tech (was Re: M)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: High-Tech (was Re: M)
From: dresden@star.net
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 18:43:23 -0500
>X-From_: tigerpb@ids.net Sun Sep 14 18:33:11 1997
>Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 18:38:03 +0100
>From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
>To: dresden@star.net
>CC: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: High-Tech (was Re: M)
>
>dresden@star.net wrote:
> Disco and the Dodge Dart are
>> making a comeback,
>

>> Nevin
>> >>
>I must getting real old! Why would anyone get nostalgic for what were
>probably the lamest years in American history? I lived thru the
>polyester and cocaine years (I didn't inhale, honest!) and it was not a
>pretty sight! Even the cars sucked! Weezy little jap cars and Monte
>Carlos-"Hey, Tony! What say you, me and Guido gas up the Monte, cruise
>to the Disco and score some chicks?" Yikes, I cringe at the thought of
>seeing a club full of slicked down guys in flamable suits and gold
>chains. At least I had my Tiger back then to runaway as fast as I could!

Paul,

I didn't say I approved of this craziness, but the fact remains that it is
happening, and the fact that something so lame can actually gain a
following shows that something as cool and pretty as the LBC has a pretty
good chance of surviving past the current forty something crowd. I have
nothing against Dodge Darts, actually, my first car was a slant 6 Aspen
(aka Son of Dart), but disco and polyester is not something I encourage;
these kids don't know what they're playing with...someone's gonna get hurt.

Also, I think you're generalizing a little...you could still buy a TR or an
MG in the midst of all that madness, and of course those  roadster builders
from that other country (you know, the one that looks like a boot) were
still sending them over here. And even if you couldn't buy a brand new
Sunbeam, at least they weren't so old back then as to be beyond anyone's
reach as a used car. And those wheezy little Jap cars (can you say that
here...will we be kicked off the list by the PC crowd? Sorry to any
offended Japanese-Americans) included the Z cars, which I wouldn't spend my
own money on, but in hard numbers, you really can't call them wheezy next
to some of our beloved LBCs. Remember, young enough to be nostalgic just
means that you're too young to remember the bad parts!

Nevin (28, ex-Spit owner and shopping, in case you're wondering)