Re: GT6 Perplexia

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6 Perplexia
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:34:35 -0700
Martin s> writes:
>1)  The PO of my GT6-3 unshimmed the front end to eliminate the positive
camber
>of the wheels, which are now vertical.  He said he did it to make life
less hard for
>the tires, which I understand, but I am left to wonder if this is the
reason the car
>seems to float a bit at highway speeds over 70 mph.  The steering gets
disturbingly
>light.  Could this be because of the lack of positive camber, and if not,
what is the
>purpose of the camber on the front end, anyway?
************************
Something doesn't seem right here.  Removing the shims (I'm assuming the
shims here are the ones under the lower a-arm mounts) would induce positive
camber.  Removing the shims would pull the lower arm closer to the body.
This would pull the lower portion of the wheel closer towards the car (i.e.
top of wheels wider then the bottom).  Actually a little negative camber
would help in cornering and help prevent the wandering your talking about.
I think the 'positive' camber is used on the GT6 primarily to impart a
'lighter' feel to a nose heavy car.  I too have noticed a tendency to get
light at speed on the GT and have since reduced the camber (more negative)
to help eliminate this.  I never really liked the front 'positive' camber
look on the GT6's anyway.

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )