Re: The Plunge Never Felt Better

To: jaltman@altlaw.com
Subject: Re: The Plunge Never Felt Better
From: "James H. Davis, Jr." <jhdavis@fiac.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 22:46:57 -0400
Cc: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Jim,
 A fellow lister named Roger Bolick in Texas was putting together an A/C kit for
TR6's but it seems his project has stalled. If Roger is reading this maybe he
can update us on his progress?
There were three different dealer or importer installed A/C units that I'm aware
of. The ones I'm most familiar with were usually installed in Jacksonville by
the importer according to an acquaintance who worked at the local Triumph
dealer. He claims the dealer ordered  A/C installed in all his cars after '74
because he could sell all the cars he could get and the A/C gave him a nice
profit on the accessory. Can anyone verify this practice?
 I bought a '75 TR6 in AL that was originally sold in MS that had an A/C unit of
a strange design in that it didn't have the familiar fan cut out on the
passenger side shelf in the engine bay and the vent eyes were plastic chrome.
The "guts" hung down in the passenger football and made it very cramped on that
side. I talked to a fellow in CA about a year ago who had an A/C for sale, but
he described a unit I am unfamiliar with. The type of unit that is found on cars
may have to do with where the car was imported.
I have seen A/C units advertised for sale in Hemmings between $500-700. If you
buy a used unit try to get as complete a unit as possible. I would imagine
trying to replace missing wiring, relays, brackets and plastic bits would be
extremely difficult and expensive.
Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO w/AC