RE: business ethics

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: business ethics
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 14:16:47 -0700
Fred :

#1 I have no problem with.  I even occasionally ask if I can either
a) Get a better price by letting them keep the job until they have some
spare time, or
b) Get prompter results by paying a little more.

It seems to me your #1 just formalizes this process.  The other people on
the "5/6 week list" made the same deal, so I don't see any unfairness to
them.

#2 and #3 depend entirely on why you returned the parts.  If the mistake
was yours (ordered wrong thing, didn't really need the part, etc.), then
IMO these policies are not unreasonable, especially if the parts were
special ordered.  But even if they are "off the shelf", there is a certain
amount of hassle and expense in selling them to you and then accepting them
back.

However, if the mistake was theirs (part doesn't fit application you asked
for, is defective, etc.), then I expect them to either replace it with the
correct non-defective part, or make a full refund.  Many states (California
among them) require this by law, regardless of "store policy".

Still, given a choice, I prefer to deal with vendors that will accept
returns (in saleable condition) for a full refund.  I always make a point
of asking, if I think there's any chance I might decide to make a return.
 I've found that at least some stores will agree if asked in advance of the
sale, in spite of "store policy".  If so, be sure to get the salesman's
name !

Randall

On Tuesday, May 30, 2000 12:31 PM, Fred Thomas [SMTP:vafred@erols.com]
wrote:

> Listers, these are a couple of business practices I recently encountered
and
> am not sure I like dealing with these people again, so your thoughts or
> comments.
>
> # 1- I can repair it for you in 5 to 6 weeks or you pay a 25.00 fee and
I'll