RE: business ethics

To: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: business ethics
From: "Ken Gano" <kengano@mcleodusa.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 22:46:45 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
My $.02.

#1  No problem.  In fact it happens every day in most businesses.  It's
called "express service."  It's only when dealing with the government is it
called a bribe.  :)

#2  Absolutely not.  A bargained for exchange implies credit on the same
terms as the original bargain.  (My money for your part, my money back if
your parts are returned.)  I can live with credit in the same form (cash for
cash, credit card for credit card, etc.) but to only offer store credit
stinks.

#3  It's a matter of degree.  25% is excessive, but 10% probably is not.  It
does cost to handle returns and just because the merchant is in the business
does not mean he should necessarily bear all of those costs, otherwise, we
all pay more.  One major mail order company attributed their success however
to a liberal return policy.

Now for my personal, recent peeve.  NO RETURNS on calibrated parts for Weber
Carbs, even when relying on the suppliers special expertise which turns out
to be less than accurate.  I can accept a stated policy (even NO RETURNS)
when I am choosing the parts and I'm on equal footing with the seller, (or
when the supplier make a recommendation and I choose to ignore it) but when
a portion of the price is the supplier providing particularized, specialized
information and the suppliers recommendation turns out to be wrong, I think
the supplier should accept some of the costs of the bum information.

YMMV

Ken Gano