RE: [TR] Speaking of questionable eBay listings...

To: Oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Speaking of questionable eBay listings...
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 09:07:53 -0700
> Also, I wouldn't drive on 40 year old tires no matter how few miles they had.
>  The rubber will dry rot after less than 10 years and make the tire unsafe.
> I've had really old tires rupture just standing still.

Yes, indeed.  Old tires, even when they look fine on the surface, can fail
suddenly and without warning.  Last time it happened to me, the separating belts
flayed all the paint off the fender of my new (to me) Stag.

This is why the DOT requires that all tires sold in the US be marked with the
week of manufacture.  The guideline is that tires older than 6 years from DOM
should not be installed, and tires should be removed from service no later than
10 years from DOM.  That includes that "NOS" spare tire ...

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org