Re: Historic Stock Cars

To: "Gary S." <speckman@coredcs.com>
Subject: Re: Historic Stock Cars
From: Bill Dalton <billd13@essex1.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 20:13:23 -0600
Gary S. wrote:

> I'd like some feedback on the topic of late model Nascar/Winston Cup cars
> particating at "vintage" race events.
>
> Looking over the various organizations names, I see words such as "vintage",
> "historic" but the common thread seems to be "sportscar".
>
> I wonder why and how the Winston Cup cars, that are as new as 1993, qualify
> for these events. Is a 1993 Chevrolet Lumina "historic", or "vintage"?  I
> dont think its a "sportscar".
>
> I would be the last person to deny the owners/drivers of these cars their
> fun on the track. And I think they even have their own organizations which
> hold various events geared toward these cars.
>
> I would just like to know the reasoning behind allowing them to participate
> at the "vintage sportscar" events.
>
> I am just looking for feedback, not a war here...so please go easy.
>
> Gary Speckman
> Team Thicko
Hey Gary,
Let's think about this for a minute or two. I can only speak from Ford
experience with any detail.
NASCAR spec rear end-FORD 9" first used in 1957.
Transmission- derivative of top loader first used in 1968.
Robert Yates heads- derivative of 70 Cleveland heads. These head were
designed for 1970 introduction of Cleveland engine and modified to fit
Windsor blocks and became the 69 Boss 302.
SVO Blocks- derived from 1971 Boss 351 and 1972 351 HO 4 bolt blocks.
Displacement limit 5.7 litres +.030" over=358ci same as GT1 cars
Tube Frame Chassis- coil over shocks at each corner- 1967ish sportscars
typical RPM limit 8500- That's what the 1970 Trans AM cars ran to -now
limited to 8200.
Carb- single Holley 4 barrel

My God I figured it out--they are early 80's vintage TransAm cars with
experimental body styles!!!! Actually there is an ex ASA Pontiac Grand
Am running in the Trans Am and doing fairly well for privateer Leighton
Reiss.

In terms of technology they really are vintage cars

Bill D