Re: Bell Mag-4 helmet purchase questions

To: Vintage <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bell Mag-4 helmet purchase questions
From: pmeis@wfubmc.edu (Paul Meis)
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 11:16:52 -0500
I have been interested in this string. I drive an open car and need to
replace my current closed face Simpson Voyager helmet. I wear glasses and my
current helmet allows me to slip them on without too much trouble. I am
concerned that new helmets seem to have tighter padding around the ears
making insertion of glasses difficult. I tried a Bell and an OMB and both
were impossible. I tried a new Simpson Voyager and it was difficult but
possible to insert the glasses. I will probably get the Simpson. I have not
had problems with glasses fogging with my current helmet.
Some observations in general:
1. There do not seem to be any discounts on brand name helmets. Prices at
Racers Wholesale, Pegasus, track stores, or Simpson stores are the same.
2. It is worth the trouble to go to a store, such as the several Simpson
outlets, to try on the helmet and especially try different sizes. Doug and I
both found that the best fitting size was different from what we would have
ordered.
3. It seems unnecessary to replace undamaged helmets every 5 years to
conform to minor changes in specification.

Paul Meis, Team Escargot
69 NTM sports racer

----------
>From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
>To: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>, vintage-race@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: Bell Mag-4 helmet purchase questions
>Date: Tue, Nov 6, 2001, 9:58 AM
>

> you'll be ultimately disappointed with an open face helmet.  You probably
> won't be allowed on track with it in the TR-3, and it's not at all
> comfortable above parking lot speeds.  You get a lot of drag and lift with
> an open face helmet that you avoid with closed face.  I use a Bell designed
> with a more open eye port for use with glasses, and it is very
> satisfactory.  No serious racers besides Dale Earnhart use open face, and
> none in an open car.
>
> Brian
>

> At 11:35 AM 11/5/01, John Cowan wrote:
>>     I'm considering purchasing a Bell Mag-4 (SA 2000) helmet for use with
>>my '60 TR-3A in  autocross and possibly driving school when I build more
>>safety into the car.  I would also use the helmet for similar purposes with
>>a BMW 318is.  I don't plan to race.
>>     Does this sound like a good choice?
>>     Also, can you recommend a mail order firm or commercial web site that
>>might offer this helmet at a discounted price?
>>     Thanks.
>>John Cowan
>>
>>///
>>///  vintage-race@autox.team.net mailing list