Re: Rear wheel steering

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear wheel steering
From: BWANA343@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:38:32 EDT
I thought I'd check in with my limited experience with Rear wheel Steering. I
had the occasion, as a NY Fireman, to drive what are commonly known as Hook
and Ladder trucks. The back end,or Tiller, is driven by the Tillerman.
Obviously took a little advanced planning before a turn as the steering was
opposite
the front end every time. Great fun responding down Southern Boulevard in the
Bronx, terrorizing the natives by driving my half about 4 lanes out into
oncoming traffic. Interestingly enough, it did have somewhat of a following
capacity
ala a trailer, as we had a tillerman fall out of his compartment (
mysteriously ) and the entire rig didn't hit anything for 4 turns and a mile
later in
front the Firehouse. Yeah, it hit our cars, naturally..... " Following" I'd
assume would be the benefit of FWD, as opposed to RWD. One story,one
opinion....Bob, prejudiced,new LSRcar has FWD, Wanner