Re: Rear wheel steering

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear wheel steering
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:39:59 -0700
Mayf.
No I haven't driven a rear steer car other then a lot of fork lifts over the
years. The closest was a rear engine roadster with a 117" wheel base. I sat
right up in the nose of the car and ran 217 mph in 1957 on the salt. Also
drove it at the drags. It was an odd feeling to have everything in the rear
of the car as the feeling was much different setting that far forward. We
ended up with a make shift gun site to have something as a guide on the nose
of the car. It helped a lot but took considerable concentration to use it.

>From my point of view the rear wheel steer is not a natural feeling to the
driver when the back of the car is doing the turning. I wasn't trying to say
I had experience driving a rear steer vehicle. The rear steer has to  steer
opposite of a front steer car or you correct deeper into the turn causing a
spin. I don't recall if Becketts car was set up this way or not. Guess we
will have to wait till he gets home from Maxton next week end and ask.

Glen