Re: was timing, now Engine Compartment Hot Air Exit

To: James Nazarian <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Subject: Re: was timing, now Engine Compartment Hot Air Exit
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:49:08 -0400
Cc: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>, v8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
James Nazarian wrote:

I read in a summit racing tech tip that when placing a cowl induction scoop
you should align the opening roughly 1-2"s from the windscreen in order to
take full effect of the high pressure area in front of it.
I think James N. is absolutely right, 1 to 2" is about as far away as the opening can get. Part of the equation is that it not only has to be a "high-pressure" area relative to the atmosphere, but it has to be "higher" than the area you want it to flow into. When a cowl induction system is ported into a carb, which is at engine vacuum, you'll definitely get flow. Some parts of the engine bay could be at a higher-than-atmospheric pressure due to a ram-air effect (probably near the front), some could be at atmospheric, if the air isn't moving at all (probably towards the firewall) , and others could be lower-than-atmospheric if there is some air-flow in the region (around the block).

I'm eagerly awaiting a fiberglass MGC hood (should be here tonight!!!!!), but I've heard that it still won't clear a rover EFI plenum. I have found a small hood-scoop on the web that is intended to have it's opening face forward to allow air in, but it has roughly the same shape and low-profile as the overall MGC bulge if it is turned around (opening backwards). I hope that this will not distract from the lines of the B (um, C?), will allow clearance for the EFI plenum (or carb untill I get the EFI thing worked out) and will aid in hot-air extraction w/o making me look like a refugee who has been hiding out in the J.C. Whitney warehouse for too long (Ooooo, Look... Fuzzy dice and neon tubes for my rocker panels!!!). I'll post a link for the scoop when I'm on my other PC.

There is a fellow on the web who makes a fender-vent for the MGB, that goes on the area of the fender between the wheel well and the door (like a Corvette). It has 3 vents and looks kind of like gills on a shark. These could easily be used to suck air out of the bay (engine, not Chesapeke) . The only problem is that the guy doesn't seem to want to sell them very much. It's a father & son operation, and the son makes them. The father has called me back, as well as a friend of the family who has used them, but the son apparently hasn't decided on a price. My glass fenders from speedline haven't arrived yet, so I'm not in a huge rush yet. They also told me that they could possibly make a 2-vent version if it would fit better behind the sebring flares. We'll see. I'll post the link when I'm on my other PC. Maybe if a few people are interested he'll get in gear and come up with a price.

There have been some really informative posts lately!! I wish I could find the smoking gun, though, that allows some MGB V8's below the Mason-Dixon line work fine, while some up in Canada are overheating, even though many of the same precautions have been taken. I think the RV8 style exhaust makes the largest difference, from what I've heard, followed by a shrouded aluminum radiator. My 2-cents from reading posts, having neither installed yet.
James J.

///
/// mgb-v8@autox.team.net mailing list
/// Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net
/// Send list postings to mgb-v8@autox.team.net
/// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be sent.