Re: Solo2 Subsidizes Roadracing?

To: "Pat Kelly" <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Subject: Re: Solo2 Subsidizes Roadracing?
From: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:02:17 -0800
> The reason for us keeping the money totally began when we started the
> solo 2 program in 1971. We put on 3 events that year, cleared $1500,
> which was a lot of money in those days. At the end of the season, we
> wanted to buy our own pylons (we rented them), went to the region, and
> were told the region had spent it all.
> So hubby John Kelly got himself elected to the regional board, and the
> first thing he did was set up separate accounts for rally, solo 2, and
> the two chapters (it's a huge region).
> We've been that way ever since.
> --Pat Kelly

Cal Club is pretty much the same.  When we started "Solo 2" here in 1985,
there was already a very successful autocross organization in place,
Southern Cal Council of Sports Car Clubs (actually sanctioned ralleys at the
time, too) or SCCSCC (pronounced sic-sic), which I believe was already 30
years old.  The folks in charge at the time saw that Solo2 was growing and
to avoid competition worked out an agreement with Cal Club that they would
become the Solo2 Committtee, with some major restrictions.  They would be
completely independent, including financially and classing (the switch to
national rules was slow and sometimes painful).  Cal Club got the SCCA dues,
but we got access to cheaper and better insurance.  Also, the is no
requirement for Solo2'ers to be SCCA members, but of course non-members pay
higher entry fees.  Don't remember what else was in the agreement.  To help
get more recognition/control/whatever at the Cal Club Board level, we have
managed to vote in a long time autocrosser as Cal Club Regional Executive -
helps to have friends in High Places :-)

Rick Brown
FP 240Z