Re: Thicko demographics

To: team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thicko demographics
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:36:48 -0600 (MDT)
Well, this gives me an opportunity to ramble a bit.  I sort of read this
list once in a while, most of my time related to Team.Net is spent making
sure the bits keep flowing for the approximately 6 dozen Team.Net lists I
attempt to manage.  I'm a sys admin for the University of Utah Department
of Computer Science, which is why you'll often see various references to
machines with 'cs.utah.edu' in their full names.  Hmm, there are over 400
lists for the department, that don't take nearly as much of my time as the
Team.Net ones.  Odd, must be related to Lucas somehow.

Not much vintage racing actually occurring in Utah, though one of the groups
I'm involved with is Intermountain Vintage Racing.  We've been working on
getting real wheel to wheel racing back in Utah, which has been tough to
do with no race track.  IVR, as well as various marque clubs and even the
Utah region of SCCA have done events out at the Wendover airport.  A fairly
large expanse of WWII vintage concrete ( Ever hear of the Enola Gay?) and
one can make a passable "road" course of a mile or so given enough cones
and marking paint.  Our June event had a whopping 7 drivers in the first
race.  That's a 75% increase over the May event.  We have another race
weekend coming up July 31/Aug. 1st, though I'll be at the VTR convention
in Maine, and will have to miss it.  Drat.  If I get off my butt and get
the entry forms mailed out, and get the call list to the other guys by
tomorrow's meeting, maybe we'll get enough participants to make the money
needed to hold the last event we are planning for September.  We shall see.

In addition to trying to keep Team.Net on the air, and working to generate
participation in vintage racing along the Wasatch Front, I also have been
known to do something useful for the British Motor Club of Utah, and run
a part time Triumph new and used parts business, the Fat Chance Garage.
And of course there's my autocrossing efforts as well, maybe I'll at least
get some primer on the bonnet of the Killer Spit before the next event this
Sunday.

Anyway, a few folks have wondered about who is on this list, what sort of
participation level we have.  For various reasons related to spammers trying
to mine addresses from Team.Net lists, various methods used to see the lists
have been disabled.  If you really want to see it, email me personally, I'll
forward it along, it shouldn't take me more than a week or two to get to your
request ;-)  I'll just hve to trust that you aren't some thievin' scumbag,
dung-headed spammer.

By the way, a reminder that this list is available in a web based searchable
archive at http://listquest.com, under the Hobbies/Auto Racing link.  Hmm,
haven't tried it for a while, I should check to see how it's working.

mjb.

ps: I'm still half a decade short of half a century.