Re: Thicko demographics

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Subject: Re: Thicko demographics
From: Bill Dalton <billd13@essex1.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:31:05 -0500
Wm. Severin Thompson wrote:

> Thicko's far and wide (You know who some of the wide ones are...)
>
> In advance of some proposed printed publicity on the team, I'd like to
> gather some info.
>
> I don't care whether you're an active racer, a sports car enthusiust, or
> you just hang out for the food...
>
> Even if you just get the list, and sit silently amused... I want you to
> speak up.
>
> What do you do (or did you do) for a living?
>
> If you're not too vain, perhaps you could include your age.
>
> FYI...
>
> I work for a company called Avid Technology.
>
> <http://www.avid.com>
>
> Avid makes the high end non-linear video, audio, and film editing
> software/systems that are used by 80% of the film, post-production,
> commercial, episodic TV, broadcast, and music industry.
>
> I work in the Strategic Accounts Division. This division focuses on
> Avid's top 100 customers, which include the networks, large broadcast
> groups, the large film studios in Hollywood (Fox, Universal, WB, Lucas,
> Dreamworks), etc.
>
> My current position is Broadcast Account Manager. My territory ranges
> west from Michigan to Hawaii (1/2 of the US), Mexico, and South America.
>
> See... that was painless. What do you do?
>
> Flounder
Well guys,
In an earlier life, at age 14 I was a New York studio musician playing
behind rhythm and blues acts, at 17 I was on the road for 2 years
playing rock and roll with all the big names. Then my Mom and Dad
insisted that I go to college. I graduated in 1963 with a BSME and
worked as an Engineer until 3 years ago. I am a licensed PE in Illinois.
3 years a go I became the video department for our company, a
manufacturer of construction equipment, tank trailers and low boy
trailers. I do all of the sales, training, internal training and company
info videos. WST, I edit on a Media 100XS system. I also write all of
our operation manuals and do computer programming for the Engineering
Dept.

Through all of this I have continued to play the guitar for 50 years and
have played out continuously until 4 years ago. The early part of my
involvement with sport cars closely parallels the Last Open Road. It was
a couple of years after, but I worked for Carmine's Auto Body, married
the daughter. It was Palisades Park NJ and she went to work for BMC of
America.

Currently, as most of you know, hold an SCCA National Tech license and
am Chief of Tech of VSCDA. Mustang driver for the last 33 years.

58 going on 59 or 10 going on 11 depending on whether I count my
original birthday or my rebirthday after heart attack.

See you guys this weekend at Road America, either in the Tech Barn or
around the Black Flag Station. Watch out for the guy with the digital
video camera!

Bill