Re: Flashing headlights is illegal??

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Flashing headlights is illegal??
From: "John L. Walker" <up497@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 14:28:56 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: The Collective Wisdoms <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Trevor Boicey wrote:

> John L. Walker wrote:
> > I can't beleive you could get a ticket for winking your lights at
> > someone.  It doesn't make sense, the 90something Pathfinder at work has a
> > switch that flashes the hi-beams (using the same lever that controls the
> > lights- ie, pull to flash, push to leave on)... is there another use for
> > this?  I doubt it.
>
>   Well, it has uses other than warning people about
> speed traps, which you can't really deny is sort
> of sidestepping the law.

True.  I suppose we should be glad that radar detectors aren't outlawed -
They are in France, and possibly elsewhere too.

>   Don't get me wrong, I do it myself and am very glad
> when somebody does it to me. But it can't really be
> argued that this behaviour is really "in the spirit
> of lawfulness".

There's always a lot of griping about it up here, mostly because they
like to hang out in a) a 60 zone that once was 80 and b) a 60 zone that
follows a long stretch of 80 highway... easy to get stiffed if you're
just 'coasting' down to 60.

It would also be kinda hard to prove that you're an "accessory to
speeding" or some other legalese- It's often hard to call the shots when
it really depends on the mood of the officer :-)

Case in point-- there's a road between Campbell River and Port Hardy,
it's a 2 hour drive at the speed limit.  (90k)  Sometimes they will
ticket you for going 101k.  Sometimes they'll just ignore you.  There's
also supposed to be an airplane patrol on the highway, but I've never
seen or heard of it.  Who knows?

-Malcolm

    Too many rocks and not enough sand.