Re: business ethics

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: business ethics
From: DRSkruffy@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 01:04:43 EDT
In a message dated 5/31/00 2:24:27 AM !!!First Boot!!!, spitlist@gte.net
writes:

<< It's been in effect at least as far back as the mid 70's when I was in
charge of the dealer parts department at Texas Instruments.  It
 seems that if you do not publish your prices, you can sell anything for what
ever you want.  But if you do publish your prices you are
 bound by law to stick with them.  The only exceptions are really not
exceptions at all but rather published discounts based on some
 rational formula.  Most of the time it is volume related.

 A lot of companies get in to trouble trying to go after different market
channels with the same product.  Direct marketing vs
 distributors is probably the most troublesome proposition.  That is why you
will find slightly different model numbers for things like
 computer printers marketed by Costco vs. Hewlett Packard Value added
Resellers.  If you look, you are positive it is the same product.
 The name has been changed to protect not the innocent but the manufacturer.

 Joe

No, I don't think that's right. I mean, not for your local parts dealer. I
agree that it is true for large suppliers, especially at the wholesale level,
relating to price fixing, anti-trust, etc, but I don't believe it applies to
the retail vendor.

I recall, many years ago studying that in B-law, I think it was related
specifically to grocery stores in the examples we looked at.