Re: [TR] Speaking of questionable eBay listings...

To: tr3driver@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Speaking of questionable eBay listings...
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 13:18:59 EDT
In a message dated 8/3/2006 11:14:25 AM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
> >Also, I wouldn't drive on 40 year old tires no matter how few miles they
> had.
> >  The rubber will dry rot after less than 10 years and make the tire
> unsafe.
> >I've had really old tires rupture just standing still.
>
> Yes, indeed.  Old tires, even when they look fine on the surface, can fail
> suddenly and without warning.  Last time it happened to me, the separating
> belts
> flayed all the paint off the fender of my new (to me) Stag.

In my case the sidewall failed.  I had stepped away having just aired it up
and the blast left me with ringing ears for a few minutes.  All I wanted was
something on which I could push the car around.  It wouldn't even work for that!

This was a really old tire.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org