RE: [TR] Speaking of questionable eBay listings...

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Speaking of questionable eBay listings...
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 09:20:39 -0700
> Seems that the only reason the car would have less than 3K miles on it is
> because the owner made a distinct effort to preserve the car for value and
> collectible purposes.

Nah, could be lots of other reasons.  Perhaps the owner was simply incapable of
driving the car for whatever reason.  Heart attack, went to war and got killed,
etc.  Previous owner of my TR3 moved to MA and never got around to taking the
car with him.  Living 3000 miles away, he didn't drive it a whole lot.

> The same person who would do that

Who said it was the same person ?  Might be a third or fourth party selling the
car ... in my case, I bought the car from his sister and nephew, who had no idea
what it was or how to sell it.

> would not bastardize the
> investment by respraying on top of what should be a virtually pristine paint
> job.

Why does everyone think paint only degrades while the car is driven ?  Have you
ever walked inside a house with 40 year old paint ?  It does NOT look "pristine"
!

One particular method that "barn find" cars degrade ... most barns have birds of
some sort, owls or pigeons or swallows; and bird feces are particularly
corrosive.  It can damage paint in a matter of days, let alone decades.

Then there's glycol brake/clutch fluif, which almost always escapes from "barn
finds" and ruins any paint it touches, plus promoting rust on the metal
underneath.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org