Re: Rear wheel steering

To: W S Potter <wester6935@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Rear wheel steering
From: Bryan Savage <basavage@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:59:45 -0700
Wes,
 you're talking about the way 4 wheel steer used to work
Here's the latest from the Delphi web site about the system on GM light
duty trucks.
*
Low-speed handling.
Negotiating a full-size vehicle in tight areas - like city driving and
parking lots - is tough. Add a trailer, and you're often faced with a
frustrating situation. QUADRASTEER by Delphi changes that.
With four-wheel steering, the trailer follows the true vehicle path more
closely, so it's easier to maneuver in city traffic and parking lots. It
also improves the way the trailer responds to steering, making it easier
to back the trailer into position.
*
High-speed control.
If you've ever "white knuckled" a full-size vehicle and trailer on a
windy highway, you'll appreciate QUADRASTEER by Delphi.
At higher speeds, all four wheels travel in the same direction. This
makes the vehicle and trailer both more stable, so they feel more like a
single unit. You'll notice a significant reduction in trailer sway and
better control during wind gusts, when a semi-truck passes, and on
irregular road surfaces.

The plot thickens,
Bryan