Re: Stock Classing (was: Marque Clubs)

To: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua4@peoplepc.com>,
Subject: Re: Stock Classing (was: Marque Clubs)
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 12:25:55 -0600
>I don't understand the determination of folks to stay in stock category
>no matter what.  It seems that you could have a much more fun and easier
>car to drive in many cases if you are willing to run street prepared.
=============================
Some folks actually enjoy the challenge of making a Stock Class "turd" fly.
Sure it'd make an easier car to drive (in autocrosses anyway) by turning it
into a SP car, but where's the challenge in that?

>What's wrong with using a wider wheel, and being able to change either
>or both sway bars, and maybe installing an aftermarket ignition, etc?
>The people who don't want to improve their cars should be going to car
>shows, anyway, instead of autocrossing.  Drain all the fluids, polish it
>up, push it on and off the trailer, and polish some more.  Don't forget
>the sign that says, "If you aren't naked, don't touch the car!"
>Whoopee!
=============================
Also remember that a lot of folks use their one and only car to double as a
daily driver and an autocross car.  _Most_ SP cars are not much fun to drive
on a daily basis due to very stiff suspensions, peaky engines due to
aftermarket intake & exhaust systems and they're usually also very noisy to
boot.

>If the issue is cost, you're not going to be competitive any cheaper
>with an old stock car than with an old SP car.  Aftermarket parts are
>often cheaper than factory replacements.
============================
Show me a competitive A, B, ESP car for under $20K and I'll show you a slow
one.  A competitive C, D and/or FSP car may be under $20K total investment
but they're also the ones that can be the least tolerable as daily drivers.

Why ya gotta rag on the Stock Class folks?  Feeling insecure or something?
Do you really _need_ all that fancy stuff to go fast?  ;^)

Then there are always the folks who feel they have to "buy" a win by
outspending their competition.  I've seen them over and over again in the
various hobbies that I've had over the years.  Sure they go faster, because
they bought faster stuff.  Those kind of competitors earn no respect from
me.

Just some thoughts from a slow Stock Class (not for long though) caveman.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69 STS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

"Fill what's empty, empty what's full,
and scratch where it itches."
The Duchess of Windsor when asked
what is the secret of a long and happy life