Re: Stock Classing (was: Marque Clubs)

To: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua4@peoplepc.com>,
Subject: Re: Stock Classing (was: Marque Clubs)
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 07:17:46 -0600
> I don't understand the determination of folks to stay in stock category
> no matter what.  It seems that you could have a much more fun and easier
> car to drive in many cases if you are willing to run street prepared.

I can think of a couple of reasons.  First, not everyone *likes* to tinker
with their cars.  Hsrd as it may seem for you to beleive, I know several
people who do not want to mess around with thier rides.  Second, you
suggest slapping some wider tires on and going out and having fun.  This is
great advice actually, and one with which I would not argue.  Some folks
are a little past that stage, however, and they want to be in a competitive
situation at National events.  Building a Nationally competitive SP car is
a fairly daunting task that requires mooocho research, time, money,
knowledge, talent, .......  I have greeat respect for those who have built
up and campaign the hot National SP cars.   Stock class still offers that
glimmer of hope that you can compete with the top dogs because there cannot
be too much difference in the cars.  Unless I can get into a turn key SP
car, it's too much work.

> You don't really need trophies to have fun.  Just pick out somebody
> you're close to and try to improve compared to them.  If you move past
> somebody, pick out another target.  Guys who get trophies every weekend
> often get sick of cartin' 'em home after a while, anyway.

While I again think this is great advice for most people, there are many
who have simply moved on to a more advanced level.  Maybe they are tired of
beating up on local competition, and are setting higher targets.  Anyway,
each category of car prep level offers something for everyone, and I say to
each his own when deciding where to run.

Pat