RE: Stock Classing (was: Marque Clubs)

To: "Karl Rickert" <alfakarl@hotmail.com>, <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Stock Classing (was: Marque Clubs)
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 18:20:32 -0800
> >Stock class drivers turn their cars over relatively quickly anyway, I
> >imagine the mode would be 2-3 years.

>Maybe you do! But some of us would like to hang on to the classics that we
>drive and would like to continue to autocross against the "competitive"
>cars. Heck, my old '74 Alfa (34th out of 54) did just as well as your '99
>Vette (32th out of 53) at Nationals. And wasn't that a 14 year old Vette
>that came in 5th?

"mode -
in statistics, an infrequently used type of average. In a group of numbers the
mode is the number occurring most frequently. In the group 1, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6,
6, 9, 9, the mode is 6 because it occurs four times and the others only once or
twice.  "

I never said older cars weren't competitive.  I do say it is a pain in the ass
to try and find competitive examples to class them, to find factory information
to support them, to fit them into a 9-10 class structure, to protest them when
nobody knows what was legal or not on them, and to try and maintain them when
the parts are no longer available.  All of those things are much easier to deal
with in SP than in Stock.

I do understand that there are people who are attached to specific classic cars
and want to autocross them, but realistically there are very few cases where
this is viable for Stock class cars anyway.  Go ahead and ask Roger where to get
replacement control arm bushings for a '86 Z51.

> The "7 year" rule would cause many a member and owner of old classic cars to
> stop autocrossing and eventually quitting the SCCA. If it were in effect
> this year at Nationals, CS would have had about 5 cars instead of 54.

I submit that instead, about 49 drivers would have been in different cars.  How
many of those Miatas were bought specifically because they were considered a
competitive CS autox car?  I bet a bunch of them.  If the rules changed, with
plentiful notice, people would be acquiring different "next" cars, that's all.
A seven year old car is about as depreciated as it's going to get - there's not
a lot of cost involved in staying within that window.

KeS