Re: Stock Classing (was: Marque Clubs)

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stock Classing (was: Marque Clubs)
From: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua4@peoplepc.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 06:12:24 -0600
First, you'll always have a class to run in.  You just may not like the
competition.  ;^)

I don't understand the determination of folks to stay in stock category
no matter what.  It seems that you could have a much more fun and easier
car to drive in many cases if you are willing to run street prepared.

What's wrong with using a wider wheel, and being able to change either
or both sway bars, and maybe installing an aftermarket ignition, etc?
The people who don't want to improve their cars should be going to car
shows, anyway, instead of autocrossing.  Drain all the fluids, polish it
up, push it on and off the trailer, and polish some more.  Don't forget
the sign that says, "If you aren't naked, don't touch the car!"
Whoopee!

If the issue is cost, you're not going to be competitive any cheaper
with an old stock car than with an old SP car.  Aftermarket parts are
often cheaper than factory replacements.

If you're really cheap, rent a car for the weekend.  I've seen it done
with at least two different cars by one fellow who says, "Hey, I'm not
burning my tires and brakes.  I'm having a ball."  He'll probably be
back with a different type of car the next event.

You don't really need trophies to have fun.  Just pick out somebody
you're close to and try to improve compared to them.  If you move past
somebody, pick out another target.  Guys who get trophies every weekend
often get sick of cartin' 'em home after a while, anyway.

--
Chuck Schultz     /                       Mailto:n2pua4@peoplepc.com
                 / New Home page: http://www.n2pua4.webprovider.com/