Re: Stock Classing (was: Marque Clubs)

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stock Classing (was: Marque Clubs)
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 12:40:29 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Charles R. Schultz <n2pua4@peoplepc.com>

> I don't understand the determination of folks to stay in stock category
> no matter what.  It seems that you could have a much more fun and easier
> car to drive in many cases if you are willing to run street prepared.

Some of that's not only driven by lack of desire to tinker, but by
practicality -- modifying the family grocery-getter may not be an option.
SP has been less and less able to satisfy that compromise -- which was a
large part of the incentive for creating ST.  But that's another story.

> The people who don't want to improve their cars should be going to car
> shows, anyway, instead of autocrossing.

Sorry...I was under the impression that autocrossing was about *driving* the
car, with accomodations for people who liked to engineer and tinker with
them.

> If the issue is cost, you're not going to be competitive any cheaper
> with an old stock car than with an old SP car.  Aftermarket parts are
> often cheaper than factory replacements.

At the national level, this may be true.  Certainly not true at the level
where most of the sport takes place.  Given that the stock rules are written
to make consumable parts as free as possible, a decent driver *can* run a
reasonably competitive stock car at the local or even divisional level for
little more than tires and basic maintenance costs.

> I can't believe anybody's had a car like that for 7 years without
> wanting to improve something in a way not allowed in stock category.  No
> car is perfect.

Sure -- but there are plenty of people willing to accept their cars as
built.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si (142k, still on original clutch, second set of brake pads and
shocks)
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr