Re: The Roadster Factory demise

To: gprtech@frontiernet.net
Subject: Re: The Roadster Factory demise
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 15:14:38 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
According to George Richardson:

> Silly? How are you going to get parts that TRF owns the tooling for from
> someone else unless they canbuy them from TRF?

How can TRF "own" the tooling for any british car part??  Rimmer is
authorized by "British Motor Heritage" to remanufacture some parts
that are not currently available. Can TRF claim the same credentials??

>                                                 How about TR3 control heads?
> TRF has them made and supplies them to everyone else who sells them. That's
> just an item I know off the top of my head. How about these green hoses that
> everyone waits for for the TR6? I don't see people getting them from anywhere
> else.
>
> TR3 tie rod ends from TRF are made exclusively for TRF. Although other
> manufacturers supply tie rod ends, none of them are near the quality of the
> item supplied by TRF.
>
> Just because you haven't found a part that TRF has that you can't get from
> Rimmers, doesn't mean everyone else has found the same to be true.

That may be the case, I own a Spitfire, so I can't say anything about TR3's
or TR6's.  But I would expect the results would be consistant along any of
the lines.

Ok, I checked their web site and it appears that Rimmer doesn't do TR3's.

> You want to pick on TRFs business practices, fine.
>
> You want to claim that someone else can supply items that TRF alone makes? Get
> real!

I can only rely on my own experience (and now, the comments of others).
I have found nothing that I could get from TRF that could not be bought
somewhwere else.  As a matter of fact, I have yet to find any part I
needed that TRF even had.  I will probably not bother checking with them
again.  You may not like that, but I expect a certain level of service
for my money and buying something that may not get delivered for months
(or according to at least one listmember, years) is below that level.

bill

--
bill@cs.uofs.edu         |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |