Re: Its getting cold: Heater operation

To: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Its getting cold: Heater operation
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:27:53 -0800 (PST)
--- Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Its getting cold out there these mornings.
> And in evenings too by the time I get out of work.
>
> I was monkeying with the heater in the old TR-4 . . . trying to get some more
> heat out of it and closed the fresh air flap / scoop / trap door / scuttle ..
> whatever you want to call it . . . .
>
> Then I opened the dash vents.
>
> Felt like there was still hot air blowing out the bottom of the heater.
>
> So is that the "recirculating mode" rather than "fresh air" mode?
>
> I realize I wouldn't get the ram air effect this way . .but then again when
> it
> gets to be REALLY cold out . . .I'd rather be heating 50 degree air from
> inside
> the car than sucking in 20 degree air to heat from in front of the
> windshield.
>

> I didn't remember my TR 6 working like that.
> If you closed the exterior air scoop .. you didn't get any air flow.

Hi Scott,

The reason the TR6 didn't operate that way is because the only connection
between the plenum and the heater is through the heater fan - with the TR4 (and
TR4A) you have the 'fresh air vents' in the front of the dash which also
connect to the plenum.  The side effect is you CAN recirculate the air inside
the cabin with the scoop closed.

Make sense?

=====
Raymond L. Hatfield