Its getting cold: Heater operation

To: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Subject: Its getting cold: Heater operation
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:52:07 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id gAENuUpE031826
Message text written by Scott Tilton
>I was monkeying with the heater in the old TR-4 . . . trying to get some
more
heat out of it and closed the fresh air flap / scoop / trap door / scuttle
..
whatever you want to call it . . . .

Then I opened the dash vents.

Felt like there was still hot air blowing out the bottom of the heater.

So is that the "recirculating mode" rather than "fresh air" mode?

I realize I wouldn't get the ram air effect this way . .but then again when
it
gets to be REALLY cold out . . .I'd rather be heating 50 degree air from
inside
the car than sucking in 20 degree air to heat from in front of the
windshield.

I didn't remember my TR 6 working like that.
If you closed the exterior air scoop .. you didn't get any air flow.

Any comments?
<

Good point.  This is a significant change between the TR4 and the TR6.  On
the TR4, the dash vents are connected to the inlet plenum via square
openings in the firewall.  The dash vents get ram air only.  When you close
the scuttle vent the fan can draw air from the dash vents and you have
"recerculation" as you rightly noticed.

The TR6, on the other hand, feeds air to the dash vents from the fan up
stream of the heater core via flexible hoses.  The advantage here is the
fan can be used to force air though the dash vents.  but you give up the
"recirc" mode.

I'm not too sure I would like a "recirc" mode on a car with an unknown
amount of CO in the exhaust.

BTW, the dash vents deliver only cool air because hot air rises so it makes
more sense to blow the hot air down in the foot well.  On a cool, sunny day
the solar gain will make it necessary to blow cool air on your upper body
to keep cool while throwing heat at your toes (which are not in the sun) to
keep them warm.

Most (maybe all) modern American cars (and American cars have notoriously
good heating and cooling systems) will do the same thing with the heat
control in the moderate position.  When in full heat they dash vents will
throw hot air but the rest of the time the air out of the dash vents is
cooler than that from the floor vent.

Cheers

Dave